6th Annual National
Hands & Words Are Not For Hurting Week
October 19-25, 2003
Aiken Elementary School (Ontario, Oregon):
Principal Mark Hinthorn says “We are generating a lot of support from parents, students and the community.” The entire school recites the Purple Hands Pledge daily! The local Police Department really supports the project.
More photos from Aiken Elementary:
Events that took place during Hands Week:
Official Proclamations by:
• Governor of Oregon
• Marion County Board of Commissioners, Oregon
• Mayor and City Council, Salem, Oregon
• Salem-Keizer School Board & Superintendent, Salem, Oregon
• Mayor and City Council, City of Portland, Oregon
• Mayor and City Council, Batesville, Arkansas
• Salem-Keizer Public Schools – All Schools K-12 take the Hands & Words Are Not For Hurting Pledge
• Woodburn School District – All Schools K-12 take the Hands & Words Are Not For Hurting Pledge
• Schools, day cares, preschools, youth organizations, women’s shelters, batterer treatment programs, hospitals, government agencies and places of worship throughout the United States will take the Hands & Words Are Not For Hurting Pledge.
• 375 places of worship received a letter written by Charlie Wallace, Chaplin – Willamette University, Salem, Oregon requesting all members of the faith community to take the Hands & Words Are Not For Hurting Pledge on Sunday, October 19, 2003 to launch the Hands & Words Are Not For Hurting Week in partnership with the YWCA’s Week Without Violence. to read his letter.
Leave A Comment